Not sure exactly WHAT Type 1 Diabetes will choose to throw at us today but I will be ready..
It could be interesting – Eden has 3 basketball games – with only an hour break in between.
- Will her blood sugar go sky high from the adrenaline?
- Will her high blood sugar cause her to play with a confused dazed look on her face?
- Will she experience a low blood sugar episode in the middle of a game?
- Will her blood sugar remain steady and she will play the games of her life?
- Will her blood sugar remain steady but then drop unexpectedly a few hours later?
- Do we have enough juice, glucose tabs and snacks on hand in case her blood sugar is stubbornly LOW and not wanting to rise?
- Will she need to sit out of the game because she is too low to take the court?
- Do we have enough test strips on hand for all the finger prick testing she is going to be doing?
We can’t just walk out the door for a basketball tournament and NOT THINK about all of these things..
Exercise and T1D don’t always mix – I will be watching and cheering from the sidelines and ALL of these things will be running through my mind as I look for signals from her body..
Hoping that D is kind to us today …