It has been almost 4 years since Eden was diagnosed with an incurable disease – Type 1 Diabetes..
In that time she has endured the following:
- approximately 2000 injections – shots of insulin in her arms, stomach and butt
- approximately 15,000 finger pricks to test her blood sugar and ketones – drawing blood with a needle
- approximately 500 insulin pump site changes – using a large needle to insert a catheter under the skin to infuse insulin
- approximately 1000 days living with a medical device attached to her 24 hours a day
- approximately 16 laboratory blood draws – multiple vials of blood with each draw
- approximately 40 office visits to her Endocrinologist and Diabetes Clinic team
- approximately 200 thyroid pills – to treat her hypothyroidism
- 4 days in hospital
- countless times being stared at while testing her blood sugar
- countless times feeling left out because people think she cannot do or eat certain things
- countless times needing her mother to tag along to birthday parties, school field trips and play dates so she remains safe
- countless times not being able to eat what others are eating because her blood sugars are too high
- countless times being awoken in the middle of the night to be fed sugar so she doesn’t die in her sleep
- hours fought with insurance companies regarding coverage and medical needs
- $$$ thousands and thousands of dollars spent every year on hospital stay, dr. visits, supplies and insulin to keep her ALIVE
THIS IS OUR REALITY – living with Type 1 Diabetes….
THIS IS Eden’s FUTURE – FOREVER unless there is a CURE..