Today I feel SO many mixed emotions..
It is the 4th of July – here in the USA – a day that marks independence, freedom and bravery.
It is the day our entire family has always used to celebrate Ally’s birthday together (she was 14 yesterday! )
It is also the anniversary of Eden’s Type 1 Diabetes diagnosis
It is Eden’s 4 year Diaversary today..
4 years ago today our life and world was changed forever
- 4 years of thousands of finger pricks to check blood sugar
- 4 years of Eden needing a drug 24 hours a day to keep her alive
- 4 years of thousand of needles and injections – seemingly endless blood draws and doctors visits
- 4 years of worry, tears, sleepless nights and the real fear that your child may not wake up
- 4 years living the roller coaster of emotions that IS Type 1 Diabetes
It also marks 4 years of Eden and our family living our life regardless of Type 1 Diabetes.
Maybe it is no coincidence that the 4th of July is her Diaversary date ?
Today we will celebrate our 4 years with Type 1 Diabetes and the fact that Eden is growing in independence – feeling a bit of freedom and no doubt her remarkable bravery living with this disease.
A very bitter sweet day where I will be celebrating on the outside but quietly crying on the inside.. I want more than anything for Eden and our family to be rid of this disease
Just as the USA gained freedom on this day – I would more than anything like freedom from T1D
We NEED A CURE ….