Tomorrow is Eden’s 12th birthday!
woohoo …. 🎂🎈🎈🌟
hard to believe that my “baby” is turning 12 – yes, it makes me feel old 😦
Eden DESPERATELY wanted to go to Discovery Kingdom for her birthday – so with her birthday falling on a Saturday – that is exactly where we are going as a family to celebrate!
I have total mixed emotions – we are going back to the “Scene of the Crime” ..
4 years ago – celebrating Ally’s birthday – we were at Discovery Kingdom when we realized that Eden was sick and was subsequently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes the next day.
There are so many things to consider now for a day trip to an amusement park with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Will the adrenaline make her blood sugar skyrocket?
- Will the exercise of walking around all day make her blood sugar plummet?
- Will being in the heat all day make her blood sugar plummet?
- We will need plenty of D supplies with us at all times – just in case…
- D-dad and Eden will need to carry a form of sugar in their pocket
- We will need to bring extra insulin in a vial too
- Will we be given grief at the entrance for the required food/supplies we MUST bring in with us?
- Will she drop low whilst waiting in lines for goodness knows how long?
- Should she have her meter with her when the lines are super long?
- Should she disconnect her insulin pump before riding – or not?
- Will the strong magnets and G-force from the rides affect her pump and insulin dosages? (just learned about these possible issues)
- We will need protection for the pump for the water rides – water soaked pump = bad news
- Guessing carbohydrate counts for food choices available and dosing insulin